Understanding peoples feelings at work is an essential element to being able to work in teams, anticipate peoples needs, and to move forward for a common goal. Not everyone has worked very hard to develop empathy but if you do, youll experience a lot of benefits for your efforts. Here are seven reasons why.
1. Youll Understand Peoples Needs More When you know how to be empathetic (that is, put yourself in someone elses shoes), even if youve never experienced what they have, youre going to be a lot more understanding at work. For example, you dont have to have an infant to understand that your co-worker who just came back from maternity leave is sad and tired, and why. Even if youve never experienced it, you should realize this is a hard time for them and act accordingly.
2. Youll Understand How Your Actions Affect Others You know there is always someone in the office who obviously doesnt care that their perfume makes their cubicle mate sick, but thats not you. A person who has empathy will know that everything they do affects everyone else in some manner. They can then choose (or not) to change their behavior to make a difference in the office environment.
3. Youll Be Able to Translate Non-Verbal Cues Accurately Much of communication between people is non-verbal. Understanding peoples feelings at work mean that you can pick up on their body language and get cues from that on how to proceed, questions to ask, and issues that may arise.
4. Youll Appear More Professional People who have big followings often either have empathy or are good at faking empathy. They appear more professional, more in tune with their coworkers, and easier to talk to about problems and solutions.
5. Youll Be Able to Determine Potential Outcomes Better When you understand other peoples feelings better, you may also be able to determine outcomes of meetings better. You can anticipate issues that may arise which you can mitigate in advance.
6. Youll Be More Motivating to Many Different People When you can show that you understand their feelings, regardless of where they come from, what sex they are, and whether you disagree or not, you can become a powerful motivator at work.
7. Youll Be More Persuasive One of the best things that empathy can do for you at work is help you become a much more persuasive person. Youll be able to rally the team together to work toward common goals, because they know that you really do care and understand them.
These benefits will show up very fast if you act on what you know. When you can pay attention to non-verbal communication, clues in the conversation, tone of voice and more, you can become a very powerful leader in your organization. Because youre going to be able to drive positive and effective communication.