Being able to understand another persons feelings is an important part of empathy. To be empathetic you must be able to put yourself in the other persons shoes without ever having experienced the situation to start with. Here are eight benefits of being empathic in a loving relationship.
1. Youll Understand Your Loved Ones Behavior More When you can put yourself where they are, it makes it easier to allow your loved one their own feelings and reactions to those feelings. For example, if your loved one was abused in the past, and they overreact to you being upset with them, they have a valid reason to act that way. If you can understand it, you can try to help them get through those feelings in a healthy way.
2. Youll Feel Closer to Your Loved One Being able to relate better to your loved ones feelings will naturally bring you closer to them. The more you react with empathy, the more theyll react in the same way to you, and the two of you will grow closer.
3. Youll Appreciate Your Loved One More When you know what developed your loved ones behavior, how they were raised, the things that have happened to them over the years, and how that relates to their attitude, it will make you appreciate them a lot more. This is because youll really know who they are, and theyll feel trusting enough to share their true selves.
4. Your Behavior Toward Them Will Reflect More Kindness When you have a real abiding understanding of and empathy for your loved one, it will show through in the kindness you treat them with. The kinder you are to a loved one, the kinder they will be to you.
5. Your Loved One Will Feel Heard An empathetic person will listen very carefully to their loved one. They will listen for understanding, not for a space to respond in. Therefore, you will make your loved one feel heard just by listening to them and showing them by repeating back in your own words what you think they meant and letting them clarify without interruption.
6. You Will Share More Emotional Intimacy with Them Showing your loved one how you feel about them and letting them share their feelings with you in a non-judgmental manner, will make you both much more emotionally connected. When someone knows they can be their full self with you, emotional intimacy is easier.
7. Mutual Trust Will Be Strengthened Feeling heard, loved, and cared for always leads to more trust. As you move through the relationship, it will get stronger and stronger as you both prove to be safe people to be vulnerable with.
8. Your Relationship Will Thrive Whether its your spouse, child, parent, or friend, seeking to understand other peoples feelings will take you far in your relationships. It makes all the difference in the world to everyone involved.
Even if youre not a naturally empathetic person, you can practice and learn empathy. It will make all your relationships better – especially relationships with loved ones. When you not only understand your loved ones feelings but also show them through your empathetic actions that you do, your relationship will become even stronger and better.